Saturday, October 6, 2012

House of Hazards

There are times when it is impossible not to feel like a bad parent. Let me highlight a few of our not so shining moments in child safety:

a. The Mysterious Bruise

Elina loves to try to challenge herself when it comes to standing and cruising, but her landings are always hard. One morning we noticed she was sporting a multi-colored bruise on her ear of all places.

I remember seeing marks of the toddler years on kids. My little sister had a black eye at the age of one from a bad fall down the stairs. Our girl has proved to be one of the risk takers, and she has the slightly embarrassing injuries to prove it.



























b. The Nanny-911 Conviction
I didn't take the initiative to really baby-proof until one day when I was watching an episode on Nanny-911. She was outrages that parents hadn't covered the outlets and blocked the stairs, so I pressed pause and found our baby proofing kit and went to work. That Nanny Deb will put you in your place for sure.



























c. The Canopy Incident

Elina has always had this beautiful flowing canopy over her crib. As seen here:


Recently she has been getting more mobile in her crib and I began to notice her pull on the material. I missed the warning sign. 


It was a morning like any other when it happened. We don't know exactly how it fell, but we think she must have yanked on it too hard. The entire thing fell on top of her. She began to try to get herself free... we are so grateful she called for help. Mikey heard her yelling and screamed for me. There she was, wrapped so tight, like a cocoon of terror. It took both of us to get it undone and we thanked God the material had allowed her to breathe. 

It is hard to not feel ashamed sharing this, even if she was smiling and happy a few minutes later. We tucked away the canopy for good, at least for a minimum of ten years. 


These moments make me realize how small I am. I will not always make good decisions, or be there to hold her when she falls. All I can do is realize that God is her father, always watching and caring for her in ways I can't even fathom. 

That's a good feeling. It kind of makes up for all those not so glorious moments.


Happy Weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...