Friday, October 5, 2012

Don't they All Look the Same?

There are some common features that children with Down Syndrome may share. Here is a few:

- Slanted Eyes
- Short Stature
- Small, flat (bridge) nose
- Small mouth, which makes the tongue seem too large

When you hear these descriptions you might get an image of a person with Down Syndrome in your head. It wasn't until I had Elina that I began to realize what great diversity there is from child to child. Some may have every feature that denotes Down Syndrome, but a lot have only some. No way is more "right", and just because a child may look more like they have Down Syndrome, it doesn't mean that they are less intelligent or less human than a child who may not appear to have it at first glance.

I was reading one of the books I have on Down Syndrome when I came across a photograph of many different children with an extra chromosome. They were taken by a man named Richard Bailey to showcase the diversity and beauty of these individuals. When I found those pictures in the form of a youtube video, I just knew it had to be shared.

So here is your daily dose of cuteness. Enjoy.

These pictures speak for themselves. Every child is unique and precious, special needs or not. Can you "Amen" your own statement? Why not. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...