Monday, July 16, 2012

To Save Down Syndrome

There is a lot of sadness and outrage in my world.  My world of loving parents whose children happen to have an extra chromosome.

Our society is making choices that may very well wipe out down syndrome from our country, even our planet. Early testing for down syndrome is not bad in itself. However, giving that news without necessary support or information may lead to more babies with down syndrome being terminated.



See, we want everyone to get it. Get that Down Syndrome is not a terminal disease or a curse. That through time, we as parents, have come to realize that we wouldn't change it if we could.

We want everyone to know, that if you are grieving because you found out your unborn child will have down syndrome, its going to be okay.

There is Hope.

***

One tiny chromosome. It starts with one microscopic anomaly. That is all it takes to affect the fate of a child. One chromosome multiplies and becomes a terrifying diagnosis, one that creates gaps near impossible to bridge.

Because, when you have a child with down syndrome, they will struggle in many ways. Guaranteed.

They will struggle to develop.

To speak.

To fit in.

To be seen for who they are and not what they have.

So, you are left to wonder, is it worth it?




















Picture yourself sitting in the hospital room. A joyous moment has been stolen from you, your excitement has been ransacked by terror. As you sit in the dark places of your heart, what thoughts will run through your mind?

Can I accept this child?

Will I live my life wishing that they were something else?

Is a life with down syndrome a life worth living?

Perhaps the only people who can answer this is those with down syndrome. If you look around, you might realize that they have answered. Elina's blog is only one in thousands.

Lily on A Perfect Lily

Kamdyn on Life is Beautiful

Noah on Noah's Dad

Nella on Enjoying the Small Things

All these children are showing us everyday that, yes, a life with down syndrome is worth living.

So is my girl. With every smile. Every triumph. Every breath.

These voices need to be heard. Not just by those who find out at birth that their child has down syndrome. By those who find out from a blood test, too. Yes, they need to hear the scary statistics about complications and the truth about what lies ahead. Should expecting parents also hear the upside of down?

 I want them to know that individuals with down syndrome are beautiful, valuable, worthy of life.




















All things that are worth while are hard. Life with down syndrome is no different.

I wouldn't change it. I wouldn't snip of those extra chromosomes, even if I could. Down syndrome has changed us all for the better.


If God chose down syndrome for Elina, who am I to challenge that?


Because, its not random, not an error.

It is a gift. The gift that seemed at first like a curse. The gift that I didn't know I needed, until it was mine.





































I daily have to figure out that life isn't about being easy or smooth. Life is about making something beautiful out of the ashes of loss and complication. One day she will know that she is different. One day she will face others who only see a disorder and not who she is. On those days I pray that she hears a voice deep within that reminds her that she is beautiful, precious, and unique.

She wasn't made to blend in. I wouldn't want her to waste her time trying to be "normal". Instead, I wish that she will be able to look in the mirror and say these words,

"I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made" 
(Psalm 139:14a)

...and I pray we can say it with her.



3 comments:

  1. This is probably one of my favorite posts. Becuase it reminds of the blessing we have and the gifts. It also reminds us of the hope that is around every corner if we are willing to just keep walking. And my the journey the 3 of you have been on the last year. It also makes me think about how Elina has touched my life and the lives of others around her. She gives so many people hope everyday. From her smile to her cute little sassy looks. She is amazing and I am so proud of her and of you and Mikey. Because you and Mikey are wonderful parents. She could not have ever wished for better. And you deserved Elina and the wonderful gift and blessing that she is and will always be. (Maybe it won't always feel like when she is throwing cheerios at you though.) =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful. Favorite thing I've read in a while and brought me,to tears. I'm sharing on Facebook now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my heavens....she's beautiful! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...