Saturday, July 7, 2012

Elina: One Year of Hope (and counting...)

Intentions to update the blog have slipped in the wake of a flood of birthday parties, big milestones, and way too many hours on the road.

Elina turned one on the first, and we are filled to the brim with memories and special moments of the big event.

(A big thanks to my cousin, Jessica, for capturing some shots that I was too "busy" to take)It seemed like her birthday almost snuck up on me. This is odd to say, considering I put more hours into working on her birthday party than I care to admit. The truth is, I was so caught up in trying to make it special that I almost forgot that it already is special. Her first birthday is a time to remember the blessing, pain, and miracles that occurred on that unforgettable day one year ago. 
Here are just a few things that I have learned this year
1. Life is terribly, wonderfully surprising.2. Down Syndrome is not the end of the world3. You can choose to love, and when you do, that love transforms brokenness into joy4. A child is not meant to be a reflection of how smart, talented, or beautiful you are. They are not clay to be molded into what we think is right or good. They are gifts.5. Blue eyes, tan skin, and dusty brown hair is a breath-taking combination6. A child's smile can be addicting. Once you get one, you will do anything to get more7. God had more planned for me than I ever had planned for myself8. Great suffering and loss is the key to thankfulness and joy, because you learn what is important and the value of the things most taken for granted9. It is time to lose my expectations, my doubts, and my worries10. Hope is essential
Elina, showing off her birthday spoils



Cousin Jazzy and Elina having some much needed bonding time
Elina's friends and family from Kansas and Colorado all helped create this memory for us


Big Milestones

Elina has scored big time in the development department. When you have a child with developmental delays, you become so in tune to every bit of progress. We are proud of our little (I mean big) girl who is now sitting like a pro. She also took her first steps with our help, so she can practice walking around the house. Really, she is just gaining a lot of strength and control all over her body. We are excited for Elina and can't wait to see what these next few months will bring.

Here is a little video of Elina, a day after her eye surgery. She is getting so strong!



We are heading to the great KC in a couple weeks to find out how well her surgery has straightened her eyes. She is already focusing a lot better, and we are hoping for the best!

Giving the constitution a little love for America's B-day  (kind of its B day, not really, I think)


Thank you for sharing our blog with us. I hope that you get out of it at least half of what it gives me to create it. It means so much that you care so much about our little family, for our big girl.




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...