Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Honest Moments: The Ignorant One

To My Elina,

I am writing this letter to ask you to forgive me. 


























I was not always who I am today. There was a time when I was the ignorant one. 

There were so many times when I used the word, "ret---ed" and I didn't think about it twice.  didn't think about all the people who might be hurt by my words.


























I never reached out to others who were different; sometimes out of "fear" of what was unfamiliar. I had only taken the time to consider stereotypes about people with special needs. Instead of being kind I chose to let this "fear" be my excuse to ignore. 

Not only do I want to apologize, beautiful one, I also want to thank you.

When you came into my life, you shook up everything I believed. 

Thank you for showing me that people with special needs are people with true worth.



























You are a girl not defined by society. You have busted through every stereotype. You have given me new eyes and an open heart. 


Months before you were born a friend told me that you would be my greatest teacher. It  was hard for me to imagine that back then. Now I know how true that would become.Because of you...I am an advocate for all that have special needs.I am a person who measures worth by the soul, not by outward appearance.I know my purpose. I have found my cause. I have realized my revolution.I will work all my life to show others what you have shown me. 

































with extra love,


Mama




1 comment:

  1. so very true... I think back on all my "pre-educated" moments. I regret my flippant use of certain words and I am thankful that I know better now, thanks to my dear son. amazing how someone so young has so much to teach already!.. excellent post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...